Friday, October 7, 2011

Fall Is Here

Fall is an interesting time.  It is subtle, still warm, still humid, yet a barely discernible difference occurs bit by bit until you look outside and see Summer has ended.  We are now into October and there is no denying it now. Kids have that tired look, go to bed without prompting, and I think I have picked my last tomato (not that I had a great crop anyway). I realize that there are certain adjustments we make to help the transition.  I need to wear socks now; no more prancing around in my bare feet.  Sweaters when I leave the house.  An extra blanket on the bed - no more fan (even though the sound is so soothing).  I notice now a beautiful day is cherished because we all know they are fleeting.  I have always had a romantic approach to Fall; pumpkins scones, warm soup, cider, MUMS. Then scare crows, straw, ORANGE,  boots.  These adjustments make me more accepting of the changes occurring.  Okay, if we have to give up Summer and its sultry nights, night swimming, wine drinking (on the porch), watering flowers in flip flops, and unstructured days, then at least I can look forward to wearing a cool scarf and a short jacket out at night.  Okay, so what does that say about me? Am I that superficial? Yes, I am.  I know that I can convince myself to accept an undesirable change if I can either buy things or accessorize.

That is a part of my personality that I like to kindly refer to as acceptance, but is really denial.  I am not thinking "Fall is here, Summer is over, Winter is coming." I am thinking "Fall is here (ooh I can decorate my house with my cute Fall stuff, Summer is over (it was so hot!), and Winter is coming (yay snow!)  I accept this denial, even though it bites me in the ass every January, because it brings me contentment. It allows me to embrace the moment and postpone the inevatible. That's okay.

I think that is important - welcome change, move on, and shop. All good things.


Good bye pool, hello Uggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment